Everything You Need to Know About the N244 Form

Everything You Need to Know About the N244 Form

If you are threatened with eviction, you might be advised to complete an N244 form. In this article, we will discuss what an N244 form is, how to complete one, and how it can help you:

What is the N244 Form?

An N244 form is a document that is used to ask courts to suspend a specific county court judgment. It can be used for several different types of CCJs, but it is most often used to help stop evictions or repossessions. However, filling out the N244 form doesn't mean you won't be evicted. Instead, it means you will get an opportunity to appeal your eviction notice in a court hearing.

When Should I Fill in an N244 Form?

You need to complete an N244 form as soon as you receive an eviction notice and date. An N244 form is an essential piece of the eviction appeal process. You must fill this document in and include as much information as possible. The eviction process will be halted as soon as the County Court receives the completed form.

Can Anyone Make an Application?

Almost anyone can make an application to stop an eviction from taking place. However, some problematic cases with an extensive history with the court system may be unable to. In these instances, a judge will impose certain restrictions on the order. For example, they may stipulate that a specific judge must hear the case or that you need to seek permission from the court to make your application. If any of these stipulations are in place, it can be much harder to apply.

How to Complete an N244 Form

Completing the N244 form isn't always straightforward. The form is filled with complicated and intimidating instructions that can be difficult to understand. However, if you want to win your case, you will need to ensure you fill it out correctly. Here are some tips to help you complete the form:

  • Fill out the case details – you will need to fill in information like the name of the court, your claim number, reference number and warrant number, whether you're applying for help with court fees, your name and the date. You will also need to state who should be served with the notice (otherwise known as the application notice).
  • Application details – most of the questions in this section can be answered with an X or a single word. However, some will need a little bit more information. One of the most important things you must complete is what grounds you have for setting aside a CCJ.
  • Your evidence – you will need to provide evidence to support your application. This includes your witness statement.
  • Sign the statement of truth – this is to verify the information you have completed above.
  • Final details – you will need to enter your contact details in this section.

Many people choose to seek legal advice when filling in an N244 form. While these forms might sound straightforward to fill in, they are not. And, if you input any information incorrectly, you may find yourself looking for a new home.

N244 Court Application Fees

You must pay the applicable fees if you intend to fill in an N244 form and apply to the County Court. However, knowing which fees apply to you and which are not can be challenging, as the court uses the same application form for several purposes.

The fees you have to pay will depend on your case stage and what you want to achieve by submitting the application. These are some of the fees you could be expected to pay:

  • To defend an eviction order using an N244 form – this will cost an average of £14
  • To set aside or vary an order that's already in place using an N244 or N245 form – this will cost approximately £255.
  • To appeal a judge's decision – if you lose your case and wish to appeal the judge's decision, you will need to fill in an N161 form. This will cost you another £255.

How Long Does the Process Take?

Once you have submitted your form, it doesn’t take long before a hearing is granted. In some cases, emergency hearings can occur within 24 hours of the form being received by the court.

The Court Hearing

If your N244 is successful, you can fight for your home in court. At this stage, you must argue why you should be allowed to remain in the property. It is a good idea to hire a lawyer to handle this for you as they are more likely to win your case.

If you've been issued an eviction notice, and you don't think you deserve to be evicted, follow the steps above and apply for an N244 form. This form may be able to prevent the eviction from occurring.